Professional Practice

After a brief partnership with his former teacher, John Fraser, and another young architect George W. Hewitt, who had trained in the high church office of John Notman, Furness controlled his own fate by being the lead figure in his office. After splitting with Hewitt in 1875, Furness practiced under his own name until 1881 when he added the well-connected Allen Evans as partner. Five years later with work coming in from the B & O railroad and the University of Pennsylvania, Furness added a layer of associates in the firm of Furness, Evans & Co. That office survived his death in 1912 and continued into the 1930s.
© George E. Thomas